• Tel: (267) 521-1502
    Email: info@everesthomemortgage.com

  • How to Deal With An Unfair Rent Hike and Get Sense of Peace

    August 6, 2017 | Blog
  • rent increase

    It is acknowledged that a sudden increase in rent can be quite stressful, especially if it is done in a way that raises fundamental questions about landlord-tenant relationships. If you find yourself in such a situation then definitely you must have a solid plan on how you should react. If not, then things can get out hand. Of course, tenants expect rent hike over subsequent years based on prevailing economic variables, but the percentage increase matters a lot. And as such, unfair treatment will always deal a big blow to your budget and everything in between. In this case, there are quite many points you should know before even taking legal action.

    Why A Landlord Might Increase Rent

    It is justifiable for a landlord to increase rent based on a number of reasons, and these include but not limited to; relative high costs of maintaining the property, increased costs of living, increase in property taxes and the ever changing dynamics of rental property. However, general greed also plays a role in increment of rental property, and this is where the crux of the matter lies. In many cases, if not all, this is where most landlords will find themselves on a collision path with tenants who have leased their properties.

    What Entails Unfair Rent Increase?

    It is equally important to know what it means to be unfairly treated by your landlord on matters that concern a substantial increase in rent. In as much as your landlord has legal rights over his property-how and when he does, it is a matter of choice, of which have direct consequences on legalities that revolve around the issue. If your rights have been infringed, then legal action must be taken fast, or you can opt to negotiate with him to reconsider the percentage.

    Rules and Regulations

    The rules a relatively vary from state to state and from one region to the other, and that is why it is highly recommended for you to know the finer details before contacting a legal profession. A strong case against your landlord will directly relate to the following; were you informed in writing or not, how soon is the new rent it to be affected (notice period), and whether you have signed a long or short term lease. Additionally, you will have to consider terms of previous tenancy agreement in order to understand whether you can take legal action or not.

    Know Rates In The Neighborhood

    If you get valid information about current rates in the neighborhood, then you stand a good chance having a good plan to counter rent issues. You are advised to determine the value of the structure and take note of extra facilities that are at your disposal. Further, take note of the market value of the house and anything related, and you will be able to know if the increase was unfair or not. There are incidences that landlord might not have raised rent for a long period, and after these years he might be justified to do within the periphery of the law.

    Negotiation Options

    If you love the house, you’re living in, and your landlord is quite amiable then you can go ahead and negotiate the rent with him. In this case, you should state your worth to the landlord by indicating your timely payments. It is also great if you can sign a long term lease at a reduced rate, or even get him to understand that you love the option and to give you a longer notice. For example, if he had given you 2-month notice you can ask for 4-6 month notice. It is all about having better negotiation skills.

    Legal Action For Illegal Rent Increase

    There are quite a number of steps that you can take if you have been subjected to illegal rent increase-and option one is to move out and get a new place. However, if you like the place and desire to live there a little bit, longer, than legal action is simply the better option. Firstly, write a letter to the landlord or any management team involved telling them that formal notice wasn’t given or the law is being broken where there are rental increase caps. In case there is no official communication from the involved parties, then you can directly contact authorities that govern landlord-tenant relationship
    to arbitrate on the issue.